Join the Rube Goldberg Learning Community
Based upon the discussion at the end of our ISTE session, I have created a Google Doc where you can add your ideas and examples about how to engage Rube Goldberg problems in learning.
How do we teach STEM using exciting and crazy devices like Rube Goldberg Inventions?
Today I have the opportunity to share my ideas and experiences with doing just that. I will begin by introducing the facets of STEM education along with 8 essential elements for Problem-Based Learning which is the basis of effective STEM education.
Here are some of the materials I used and the resources I have consulted for this presentation. Some of the materials I will be covering are also covered in previous Dr. Z Reflects postings so you will find some links at the bottom of this post.
Rube Goldberg-Related Resources:
- Videos - Shown before the presentation.
- Invent Tomorrow Links - List of the links I used sharing Rube Goldberg resources.
- Rube Goldberg Ideas video - List of videos that you can use to give your students ideas about the simple machines that create an invention.
- Video version of this lecture at K-12 Online Conference - This is a 20-minute version of this presentation that I submitted to the K-12 Online Conference.
- Teaching STEM Elements Using Rube Goldberg Inventions Powerpoint slideshow
- Nationalacademies - STEM Integration in K-12 Education - GREAT 4 minute video!!
- StemAdvantage.org - Good source for STEM Stats
- TeachThought - Incredible Education Blog
- Difference between Projects and Project-Based Learning
- Buck Institute for Education - Leading resource for Problem-Based Learning
- Rube Goldberg Inc. - The company that supports Rube Goldberg projects.
- Purdue University 2014 Rube Goldberg Winners - See how University students create "Complex Chain Reactions to Achieve Simple Tasks."